About Global Sanitation Center of Excellence (GSCOE)
The Global Sanitation Center of Excellence (GSCOE) was established at TECHIN in Jan 2022 as a center for collaborative and sustainable innovation, incubation, scaling manufacturing, skill development, training, showcase and deployment of Sanitation solutions. Our current incubated teams are working on Modular toilets, Eco-friendly Cleaning solutions that conserve water and energy, automated manhole and sewage line block clearing devices, modified toilet seats, and disease prevalence detection from sewage and toilets.
The Principal Scientific Advisor’s Office (PSA office) facilitated the setting up of GSCOE and is providing continued support by being part of the Governing Council. IIT Palakkad and TECHIN in collaboration with the following entities will enable field testing and trials of the innovative technologies developed through this start-up ecosystem:
- HDFC BANK CSR (the funding agency for the Incubation of teams under GSCOE)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF)
- ERAM Scientific (ERAM), the industry collaborator for Scale testing and manufacturing
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO)
- Toilet Board Coalition (TBC)
- NGOs (including Keystone Foundation, S3IDF, and DICCI) working in the Sanitation domain
and tribal, women, and underprivileged (including those who are involved in manual
scavenging) will enable field test locations
- Government entities both state and central, local governing bodies will enable field test sites
About the Plumbing Apprentice Programme (PAP)
This unique upskilling programme is designed to make participants learn, comprehend, and apply accurate and advanced plumbing practices. The first batch of this training programme will be launched in January 2023 under the joint recognition and certification through Center for Continuing Education (CCE) of IIT Palakkad, the Technology Innovation Foundation of IIT Palakkad (TECHIN) along with the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAMPO).
During this programme, the participants will learn how to install, repair, and maintain a variety of piping systems, plumbing fixtures, and other equipment generally associated with water distribution and wastewater disposal; and will also learn and comprehend the basic principles of typical plumbing systems.
- 80% Practical and 20% Theory oriented tailored training modules to provide in-depth
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Plumbing Terminology
- Plumbing Calculations
- Demonstration and Installation of different types of pipes (PVC, UPVC, CPVC, PPR), fittings and pumps, Drainage, Waste and Vent Pipe Installation
- Sanitary Fixtures Fittings and Appliances
- Basic Electrical connections and Basic Sanitation installations
- Industrial visits and Internship opportunities
Course Duration: 300 hours (6 weeks)
150 hours of Practical (classroom) training and 150 hours of Internship (On-site) Training.
Roles & responsibilities of selected participants:
- This is a training programme designed to serve the national need and interests to build a talented workforce that serves society for access to healthy and safe water, adequate sanitation, and improved hygiene.
- The selected candidates must abide by the spirit and interest of the programme.
- No dropouts and absentia learners are entertained. 100% attendance is mandatory for course evaluation and certification.
- During the training hours, participants must be in decent attire and professional clothing. Must be willing to wear safety gear and gadgets as and when required by the instructors. Avoid synthetic and loose straps.
- Safety precautions should be adhered to at all times.
- The decision of the evaluators is final.
* Certification fee applicable.